Yup, I'm a bad blogger! What's the point of having a blog if you never post to it? I just got way too busy this winter, and when my handler up and quit on me in mid January things just got insane for me and some of the lesser important things (like updating this blog and cleaning my house) had to get put on the back burner. But now racing season has come to a close, my house is clean again (yay!) and I can finally find time to update my website. :-)
And wow, what a winter it's been. As if doing 2 distance races wasn't enough on top of having to handle 26+ dogs on my own, we got absolutely HAMMERED with snow around here. It seemed like I no sooner finished cleaning up after one storm than another would hit. Great for the trails - but a pain in the butt in the dogyard! At one point I figured I had about 4' of snow in my dogyard. The houses were completely buried with little tunnels for the dogs to crawl in them and I spent as much time shovelling out dog house doors and stakeouts as I did shovelling out gates and the fenceline. Had to actually string electric fence along the top of the fence to keep the dogs in because the fences got so short.
We did really well in most races this season and I'm very pleased with the team. A few dogs finished their SD titles and others are only 1 or 2 races away from finishing. We even made SD time on one of the longer races, a feat I never thought we'd do!
Now it's springtime (just about) and I'm starting to train up the pups that will join the team for next year. At the moment I've got 7 new ones coming on board in the fall. 4 have just started running, while the other 3 still need a month or so to grow. And I'm starting to work on new leader training with some of the yearlings: Quinn and Sully have both showed promise up there.
Check out my website in the coming weeks for some new adventure stories (Can-Am and Beargrease) as well as updated photos.
And I promise to try and blog a teensy bit more often now! :-)
Cheers....
-Jaye
No comments:
Post a Comment